Outfit Diary: Surrounded by the Swiss Alps - Interlaken, Switzerland

11 June 2015 Interlaken, Switzerland

Images of the scenery in interlaken

Ah Switzerland.
A place i've always imagined to be special, BEAUTIFUL, peaceful, scenic, and just all around incredible.

In the middle of April, I took a short trip to Switzerland in the name of celebrating my friend's 22nd birthday.
I was not traveling alone, and the point of the trip was not to see as much as possible, but to enjoy some quality time with her, and just chill out (since we haven't seen each other/gone out together in a rather long time!)
However, we did manage to have some fun even on a relaxing slow paced holiday :)

We flew in on an early flight to Geneva from London (Southend airport; which is probably the worst of all the London Airport's I've been to!!), and took a train in to Interlaken the following day.



Many of my other friends who have been to various cities/towns in Switzerland have emphasised that Interlaken is beautiful, and is a must-visit. It was a pretty unanimous decision that Interlaken was their favourite Swiss city. So obviously, it was where I chose to go since I had so little time in Switzerland.

For those few days in Interlaken, Sheryl and I stayed in a lovely hotel called Hotel Bellevue, which was pretty close to the main train station in Interlaken.

Facade of Hotel Bellevue in Interlaken

The hotel was lovely, and our room had the BEST VIEW.
The room had a small balcony that overlooked the river, and mountains, with birds chirping and the sun beaming in every morning. It was a perfect sight. A landscape like that could have been right out of a real life Disney film. I would imagine being Snow White, standing at the balcony, and singing to the birds flying by.




Not only were the views from the window great, the area surrounding the Hotel was just as fantastic with its green grass, stone walkway, and lovely yellow flowers.

If you've been reading my blog/If you know me in real life, you'd know that I don't stay in hotels whenever I travel when there is a cheaper option of staying in hostels or an airbnb. So being able to stay in a hotel like this was amazing!

I told myself, since i've already paid for it, I had better make good use of it's beauty and take a couple of photos.

Hotel Bellevue garden in interlaken switerland and my outfit of the day
Hotel Bellevue garden in interlaken switerland and my outfit of the day
Hotel Bellevue garden in interlaken switerland and my outfit of the day
What I Wore
Top: Monoprix Paris
Necklace: Primark
Culottes: ASOS
Shoes: Charles & Keith
Coat: Promod
After a couple of hotel backyard OOTD shots, we headed out to explore the lovely town.
Interlaken was surprisingly quiet, and not as crowded as i'd expect it to be.
Another unusual thing about the picturesque Interlaken was that it had many old, rather victorian-esque looking houses that seemed uninhabited.

Old victorian esque houses in interlaken switzerland
Streets of Interlaken Switzerland
mountains in the background everywhere in interlaken
Mountain in the background of interlaken switzerland

For me, the best thing about walking around Interlaken, is that EVERYWHERE you turn, it is scenic. You literally see snowcap mountains at every turn, every angle, every corner. The streets all look unrealistically postcard worthy especially with the mountains in the background.

I couldn't help but feel some sense of inner peace, and joy when I was there. In addition to the great landscape, the weather was awesome when we were there. It was warm, the sun was shining, and the flowers were all in bloom. It met all my expectations of a typical spring day!

Flowers in full bloom during spring in interlaken switzerland




I know I tend to say nice things about most of the places i've been to (because they really ARE NICE!) But, I am not exaggerating when I say strolling around Interlaken, absorbing the wonderful sun rays, and just admiring the colourful flowers immediately brightens up your day.
Almost every backyard had a variety of flowers in full bloom. Even the hostels had a distinctive charm about them.

Walking past a backpackers hostel, it looked nothing like a typical hostel. The backpackers villa has such a nice surrounding, especially with those yellow flowers lining its perimeter. Maybe it's my insane love for flowers, but who can deny that those flowers exude the perfect spring happy vibes?

the scenery and landscape of interlaken switzerland in spring

Eventually we headed to a wide green patch of grass to admire the view, sit on the benches for a short break from walking, and watched the paragliders soar in the sky and glide down one by one.
The gliders landed on this huge grass plain (the biggest of the many lush green fields in Interlaken) and people passing by / friends and family for the gliders could wait by the benches surrounding the main field and watch those gliders do their thang!

image of gliders paragliding and landing in switzerland interalekn
Paragliders gliding in the sky in interlaken Switzerland.

When I saw people soaring in the sky and gliding down I told myself "I'M GONNA DO IT." And I did (story and video of my experience coming up!) the next morning.

It just seemed like such a carefree thing to do, to be able to float in the air and get a bird's eye view of the city. That night, I immediately went online to research on how I could get the same experience.

perfect view of interlaken switzerland
perfect view of interlaken switzerland

Mountains and greenery. Interlaken has it ALL.
After having gone to Scandinavia, more specifically, Norway, I had this theory I wouldn't be as impressed because Norway has been said to be one of the most scenic countries. However, I was so wrong. Interlaken managed to make me go WOW, and marvel at the beauty of nature all over again.

It is probably because the weather in both countries were so different during the time I was there that the vibe they exuded, the colours, sights and sounds, were just totally different, it's hard to compare and say which was better. And that is a great thing. To me, one of the best things about traveling is being able to be impressed time and time again and to be proven wrong whenever I think i've seen it all.


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Travel and Life | By Carina Chung . Design by Fearne .